DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My 4-year-old female child has 100.2 f fever with sore throat,

My 4-year-old female child has 100.2 f fever with sore throat, fitful sleeping and complains of headache. Can this be meningitis? For the past few nights, she has been sleepier than normal.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrOAB replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DrOAB :

Hello from JustAnswer! More of answer in a moment...

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

She also is complaining of a sore throat and when I woke her to give water and Ibuprofen, she didn't want the medicine, and went right back to sleep - breathing is noisy and she is whimpering in her sleep.

DrOAB :

The formal definition of a fever is a temperature at/above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit / 38 degrees Celsius. As she does NOT have a true fever, the odds of this being meningitis (inflammation of the meninges lining of the brain and spinal cord) are very small. Only 5 percent of meningitis cases show an absence of fever. With only an elevated temperature, headache, and sore throat, this sounds more like a viral or perhaps bacterial (e.g., strep) pharyngitis (inflamed throat).

DrOAB :

Is she actually showing any difficulty breathing, inability to bend her neck to touch chin to chest, or marked oversensitivity to bright light?

Customer :

Thank you - I am worried about her crying from this in her sleep.

Customer :

no - I don't think so

Customer :

She cries and isn't fully awake - but sounds hoarse as she cries.

DrOAB :

Has she had a barky-sounding cough with this as well?

Customer :

no..at least not yet - we were at the beach today and she seemed fine, but by 5pm she was sleepy - kind of unusual..she usually fights bedtime.

Customer :

gave her very quick bath and after 10 minutes she was ready for bed.

DrOAB :

If she is refusing the oral ibuprofen meant for discomfort and/or fever, you might consider over-the-counter Tylenol (or generic) suppositories.

Customer :

thank you - I think it is just that she is so out of it - she usually wants the meds because of the kiddie flavor..we have regular children's tylenol - I will try that as well

DrOAB :

If her fever rises above 102 degrees Fahrenheit (especially if at/above 104-105 degrees) or lasts beyond 72 hours (3 days), then seek medical evaluation for a possible bacterial cause. Fever is usually NOT considered dangerous until about 107-108 degrees Fahrenheit, which occurs rarely.

Customer :

what about the headaches - this is not the first one - the headaches have been coming every couple of days - without fever...

Customer :

sorry - I guess I wasn't very clear about that in the beginning

DrOAB :

Unless these are the worst headaches she has ever had or involve marked neck stiffness or photophobia (extreme visual light sensitivity) or lethargy (markedly decreased level of consciousness), the headaches are probably not meningitis, but are more likely due to a viral or, less likely, bacterial source. No associated persistent vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer :

No vomitting - or diarrhea. My twins (she is one) have had somewhat soft stools since birth - never got truly solid.

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX are quite helpful!!

DrOAB :

Her symptom pattern tends to remind me of a viral pharyngitis. Assuming this is the case, her temperature elevation should resolve within 72 hours. If there is any possibility of exposure to someone with strep throat, a bacterial infection, then her physician can evaluate her on Monday. If she worsens dramatically before then, consider an emergency room visit.

Customer :

Thank you!! We really appreciate your time and assistance!!!!

DrOAB :

I am glad that I could help. Did you have any other related questions?

Customer :

No thank you - May I know if you are located in New England?

DrOAB :

Right coast, but in the South.

Customer :

I LOVE the South!! Well, Thank you so much!!! Please, is OAB your last name or is it a user name only? I would like to keep your name handy...

Customer :

We are in Connecticut, and stuck here for the time being with designs on North Carolina.

DrOAB :

DrOAB is my JA Expert name. You can use that 'nickname' to search in JustAnswer or include it at the start of questions if you would like me to answer your questions.

Customer :

Thank you again so much. Have a great Sunday - and beyond!! Good night to you!!

DrOAB :

You are quite welcome. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX care!

DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience: In practice since 2000.