Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 3 year old daughter has started limping, putting her weight

My 3 year old daughter has started limping, putting her weight to the outside of her right foot. She insists she has no pain and is running and jumping. What could this be? Should I take her to be checked over?
Chat Conversation Started
PediatricMD :

PediatricMD :

Are you available?

PediatricMD :

This is certainly a potentially serious condition and deserves early evaluation from your pediatrician.

PediatricMD :

Limping in a toddler can be due to many reasons including limb length discrepancy, DDH, occult fractures, and rarely aseptic necrosis of the femur head. Sometimes viral infections may lead to synovitis / inflammation around the local joints. Rarely an inflammatory / rheumatological / neurological cause may be found.

PediatricMD :

While the most likely cause may be some local trauma, given the potentially serious causes, the other possibilities deserve a serious consideration too,

PediatricMD :

Hence the need for an early pediatric appraisal

PediatricMD :

You can read more here

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Please let me know if you need more information/ clarifications,
Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your assessment, all of the conditions you described sounded like an element of pain would be involved, yet my daughter reports no pain, is this normal?

Hello J C,

The original expert is off line.

The fact that she has no pain and has normal energy to bounce and jump, rules out most bone or joint related (infective, vascular) conditions.

But still this oddity should be checked, as constant weight-bearing on outside, involves lifting the arch of right foot higher, and this would sooner or later fatigue the small muscles involved for this.

Try keeping her feet clad with appropriate shoes all waking hours.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience: M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp