Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S. , Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 7 year old daughter is complaining of nipple/breast pain

My 7 year old daughter is complaining of nipple/breast pain in both breasts. She thinks she has a lump under one of them but they are both sore to her. She has complained of this for 24 hours and she wants to get checked out by the doctor. I suppose one nipple may be somewhat inverted but then again I have never looked closely at her chest until her complaint. Everything looks fine to me, but she says they feel sore.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

Pain in the nipples can be due to an irritation or infection. But when it is occurring on both sides & she is feeling a lump, an examination by doctor should be taken. It can be due to premature enlargement of breast etc.. Enlargement of breast or premature thelarche can occur due to some hormonal imbalance. It can be a sign of precocious puberty or partial precocious puberty too. True puberty may not begin. In some cases, a few sign may begin earlier. However, she should be assessed by her doctor . After examining if her doctor feels, he may do some hormones level, and other relevant investigations to check the situation.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your daughter's healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX if she is completely flat chested (no fatty tissue at all), just due to the soreness of her nipples/breasts and the possible lump behind one, this could indicate some sort or pre-puberty?

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 6 years ago.
When the symptoms are on both sides , there remains a possibility. If it were on one side, infection or irritation can be a factor. It is uncommon for infection to affect both sides simultaneously.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.