Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics

How much Benadryl can I give my six month old who weighs 15

Customer Question

How much Benadryl can I give my six month old who weighs 15 pounds? I can olny find childrens benadryl...should I give this or is there an infant formula? How often can I give this? daily for a week if the allergies and runny nose persist? How safe is the medication for infants?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
Benadryl is generally NOT recommended for infant with allergies. I would recommend using Zyrtec (available on prescription) for a child greater than 6 months age.
For a 1 year child the dosing chart is available at this website.
http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=808
While you could extrapolate and given the six month old around 2.5 ml, i would recommend contacting your pediatrician before you do,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I need soemthing now but can't get an appt for three weeks and the baby's new ped won't answer this question until she sees him for the first time. He is miserable. Is there anything otc that would work? what would the dosing be? And what sort of frequency is safe? Thank you for putting up with my persistence.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
I understand your predicament.
I would recommend putting lots of saline drops in the nose, plenty of fluids, and tylenol for any excessive irritability.
A dose of Zyrtec would be acceptable, while benadryl can be used only in an emergent situation after talking to a nurse/ doctor,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know of something otc (not perscription) that I can give my 6 month old for allergies and runny nose. Benadryl? I need OTC info...not perscription info as I can not get an appt for threee weeks. I need dosage and a frequency that is safe.
Expert:  Dr. Moscatel replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, so sorry to hear about your predicament...I will try to help you, but I want you to know that there is nothing over the counter that is safe to give a child of this age...also, at the age of 6 months, no child has respiratory allergies, as they have not been in the world long enough to develop this type of sensitivity. Zyrtec is a great medicine, and is obtained over the counter, but cannot be used before the age of 2 years. Benadryl is not recommended, either, unless a clear-cut, and obvious allergic reaction has occurred.Even so, 6 months is really too young, unless it is urgent...However, if you are having trouble getting in to see a doctor, I can assure you that there is most likely an urgent care facility in your area that could see your baby today. This way, the child can most likely be diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection, which will run its course naturally. Again, I am sorry this may not be the answer you are looking for, but I promise, it is true...Hope this helps a bit...
Experience: Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 4 years ago.
Zyrtec is the ONLY anti-allergic medicine approved in children less than 1 year age.
Read more here
Hence there is no other safe & effective alternative, if there was one I would have been happy to provide you with a reply,
Hence the answer is really the only accurate one, and not incomplete.
Warm regards