Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
20031379

My 2.5 year old son has been sick the last 2 days. Vomiting,

Customer Question

My 2.5 year old son has been sick the last 2 days. Vomiting, fever and diarrhea. This morning his fever is down, no more vomiting. My 7 month old baby started vomiting this morning, and her temp is currently 102.7. She is drinking water with pedialyte. She has kept down 4-5 ounces for the last hour +.

If I were to take her to a doctor what could they do for her that I'm not doing now. Is there a medication to stop stomach pain, diarrhea ?

We are new in our area and the closest pediatrician is an hour away - so I don't want to put them through a long drive and possible long wait at the office if not beneficial ...
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Moscatel replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, sorry to hear about the kids being sick...So, in answer to your first question, there is not much that a pediatrician will tell you to do other than keep the child hydrated and as comfortable as possible. If the baby has kept down that many ounces, it is a good sign. She may start up again, though, so be prepared. It is a good idea, if she does begin vomiting again, to let her stomach have a rest before trying to have her drink. Small, frequent sips is the best way to start. In terms of her fever, they make tylenol suppositories, and this is always a good option for a vomiting child who has fever. Lastly, we do not recommend that any child take medications to stop diarrhea, as this may prolong the course of an illness such as this. Just remember to be aware of signs of dehydration: no wet diapers for 10-12 hours, no tears when crying, a mouth that is not moist, overall lethargy. Any of these things would warrant a trip to the emergency room for some iv fluids. Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks - that information is comforting.

Also, my son refuses to eat anything yet and is very lethargic. He is drinking water regularly but is still having diarrhea. Should I force him to eat or just wait it out? How long do you wait?
Sorry i took so long- good question. Do not force any food on him- I promise he will eat in a day or two. My sons both just had the same thing, they are 6 and 4. As long as he is drinking water (no milk, and no juice please, these will make it worse), may be even a little sprite or ginger ale, he will be ok. When he is ready, and you can ask him a couple times a day, bland foods, like bananas, scrambled eggs, toast, rice, applesauce, even something like a frozen waffle may be good. Again, he will eat when his tummy feels ready. usually these things only last 3-4 days. You will notice that his eating habits may not return to complete normal for at least a week, and he may experience abdominal cramping for 2 weeks or more, but it will all go away, I promise! Sometimes, they just turn the corner, and within a day, they are back to their old selves!! Children are incredibly resilient.
Experience: Double Board Certified: Internal Medicine & Pediatrics, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for such a thorough answer. Definitely gives me peace of mind. One last question: No milk - huh? My son usually drinks almost a half gallon a day and has been asking for it. Also, my 7 mo. old of course is almost exclusively formula fed. She has an egg yolk occasionally. What should I do for her? Should I deny him milk if he asks for it?
i would tell him that milk would give him a tummy ache for a day or so, maybe tomorrow, so we have to wait a little...promise him just a little bit more time, and when you see that his eating is returning, re-introduce the milk a little at a time. for the baby, mix in a little pedialyte with her formula for a day or two, and slowly increase it to just formula as she improves. ok, good luck, and wash your hands alot!
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback- it means more to me than any money that I was able to help...