Dr. S
Dr. S, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Intensive Care

My 6 year old son keeps getting pain in his testicals we have

Customer Question

My 6 year old son keeps getting pain in his testicals we have been to the GP he checked my son but said he couldnt find any swelling etc. My son is doubled up in pain for a few moments then ok he said he feels like something is twisting inside , when not in pain he is his normal active self . Please help .
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. S replied 6 years ago.
There are several possibilities that may be giving your son testicular pain. He may be having intermittent testicular torsion. This is where the testicle twists around its stem and effective shuts off the blood supply to the testicle causing pain. In severe cases where the torsion is not intermittent, if the torsion is not reversed, the lack of blood flow will cause the testicle to die. If the torsion is intermittent, then there is pain when it is under torsion but if it reverses then the signs and symptoms go away. Other possibilities include an intermittent inguinal hernia, which is due to parts of the bowel pushing through into the scrotum. This is usually not painful unless the blood supply to the bowel is compromised. Epidydimitis can also cause testicular pain but typically it is not intermittent in nature. Finally, spasms of the cremasteric muscle, the muscle that lies over the scrotum, can cause severe testicular pain without evidence of swelling. The best next step if the GP can find no reason and he continues to have intermittent testicular pain is to go see a pediatric urologist. They may recommend a testicular ultrasound to look for what I mentioned above and may be able to give you a better diagnosis and treatment plan if needed.