Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My two year old son has had a red ring around his anus for

My two year old son has had a red ring around his anus for 3-4 months now. Sometimes it seeps a little blood and sometimes it doesn't. At first we tried using plain ole hydro cortisone ointment to no avail. When the problem persisted, we took him to our family Dr. who put him on some medication for a possible yeast overgrowth and ordered blood drawn for an allergy test. It was determined that is wasn't a yeast thing and all allergy tests came back negative. About 2-3 weeks ago, he started getting frequent wet flatulence. Every time we change his diaper, he has streak marks and residue sitting on his anus that was making things worse. We were then sent to a dermatologist, where we have been given various ointments to put on it with an optimistic attitude from the dermatologist. We are currently on the the 4th different ointment and the attitude from the dermatologist has taken a 180, where he is now recommending us to visit a specialist at children memorial hospital
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. A very common condition that causes this is strep and that can be tested for by a simple strep throat test swab in the office. If positive then just treating him with an oral antibiotic should get rid of it. It certainly may not be that simple but if they haven't thought of that then I'd certainly do it as it is a lot easier than another referral.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, i did not include that he had that test done as well. Also, he was kind of constipated, but we are not sure if it was him holding it in because of it hurting. It is extremely painful when we wipe the area and apply ointment.
If he has been treated for strep and yeast then he likely needs to see a pediatric gastroenterologist as he needs to have endoscopy of his colon to look for other lesions inside his rectum and colon. What you are seeing could be a sign of some disease of his colon, such as Crohn's disease, and the only way to tell is to take a look inside and do a biopsy. I suggest you go ahead with the referral to the children's hospital if that is who they want him to see. I'm sorry I did not have any other options to offer but a gastroenterologist is the best specialist to see now as it sounds like this problem is not going away and must be uncomfortable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
First off, let me thank you for your time. My father and sister both have Crohns. I really hope that is not the case. Last question... Is it rare for a child this young to be diagnosed with Crohns? What else might they find when doing the tests you described above?
Crohn's can be diagnosed at any age though more likely later in childhood but is known to have lesions anywhere from the mouth to the anus so is a possibility. Other than that I'm not aware of any disorders that would cause perianal irritation as you are describing but a gastroenterologist would certainly know of other rare conditions I'm sure so don't put all your fears in one basket, so to speak.