Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

If a child has a fever of 39.3C, considerable swelling and

If a child has a fever of 39.3C, considerable swelling and drainage of the pharynx and in the conjunctivae, tonsils enlarged and coated with a white patchy exudate, a red throat and swollen anterior cervical lymph nodes, his ears were clear and his chest sounded clear and had no additional findings on routine exam, what would be your presumptive diagnosis for this child and why? What diagnostic testing would be indicated to follow the exam? What is the most likely treatment for the illness and why is it important? What factors of this case allowed you to make a presumptive diagnosis
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. It sounds like I'm taking a test for you but regardless, here are the answers:

Strep throat since he his classic symptoms of strep with the red throat and eyes and cervical lymphadenopathy. I would do a rapid strep test and a strep culture to send if the rapid test is negative, since 10-20% can be falsely negative and would treat him with a penicillin alternative since we are now seeing increasing resistance by strep to penicillin (and Amoxicillin).

I can make this presumptive diagnosis based upon the classical presentation he has for strep but still would do the strep testing as no one can accurately diagnose strep without the test.