Dr Abby
Dr Abby, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  I have been practicing Family medicine, which includes the treatment of children, for over 10 years
20297917

what could cause an 8 year old boy to suddenly have blood

what could cause an 8 year old boy to suddenly have blood not a lot but still blood in his urine
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr Abby replied 6 years ago.

Is he urinating more frequently?
Having pain with urination?
Any injury to his abdomen, back or testicles?
Fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank u for your answer. I hope u are a true DR. I was tricked by a lawyer before online. so I have no choice but to trust u.
Expert:  Dr Abby replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I am a doctor.

The most likely reason for blood in a child's urine would be infection. Other symptoms that would be associated with this include abdominal pain (a more common symptom in children than in adults), more frequent urination, pain with urination and/or fever.

Injury to the penis or urethra or irritation of the urethra (the tube where the urine passes out) can also cause blood in the urine.

Much less common causes of bleeding include bleeding disorders (usually we will see other problems such as bleeding gums, frequent bloody noses), kidney stones (typically associated with back pain--quite severe!), tumors (not common) or kidney disease.

His pediatrician will first do a urine test to look for infection. Again, this is the most likely cause of his blood and is easily treated. If it is infection, the blood will go away once the infection is gone.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!