Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Pediatrics, Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
27991315

Breastfeeding after one line of cocaine - how long should I pump

If I did one line of cocaine, how long do I need to pump and dump before I can resume breastfeeding my 6 week old baby who is a little over 9lbs. Please no lecture....I already feel terrible....I just need to know when it will be safe.

Thanks for your question.

This is a fairly common situation, unfortunately, so there are data to support an answer to your question. Cocaine is fat-soluble, meaning it can accumulate in fat. Since breast milk is largely made of fat that is intended for the baby, cocaine can remain at high levels in the breast milk.

As a pediatrician, I routinely recommend that if a mom is using cocaine, or used it recently in the past, I would avoid breastfeeding altogether. The risk is simply too great to the young baby, and in my experience most cocaine use is repeated. Rather than worrying about each use of cocaine, I recommend the use of a cow's milk-based formula like Enfamil or otherwise.

I hope this helps, and I wish you and your baby well.

Regards,

Dr. Davidson

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There will be no repeated use!!! This was a one time mistake....I need to know when it will be safe to resume breastfeeding. When will it be out of my milk? I did a very small amount. Please give me an idea of when I can start again? It's already been 24hrs.
In that case I would recommend a minimum of another 12-24 hours prior to breastfeeding again. Take care, Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I exceed another 24hrs to be safe? Or, is 48hrs total definitely a sufficient amount of time. Again, this will never happen!!!! I really appreciate your advice, I've been tormented by this and don't want my baby to suffer from my stupid mistake.
Another 24 hours should do. Take care, Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks! Last, question....will drinking a lot of water help flush it out?
No, as cocaine is fat soluble, meaning water will not flush it out. Take care, Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help! I will wait another 48 hours to feed her.
Great. Just make sure you supplement her feeding with a good formula. If you need recommendations, please let me know. -Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks! I'm using Earth's Best organic formula. My plan is to resume breastfeeding in another 24 hours for a total of 60 hours because I'm completely paranoid and want to be 100% sure nothing is in my milk. If I'm being overly cautious and paranoid, let me know!
Earth's Best is a great choice, and I used it for my own son. 60 hours should be a good amount of time, and you're not being overly cautious or paranoid. Take care, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, great! i swear, last question, should I prolong to 72 hours?
No, I would feel very comfortable stopping at 60 hours. From that point forward, stopping for any longer will not help. Take care, Dr. Davidson