Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 6 year old son
20201159

my 2year old has green discharge coming from both eyes one

Customer Question

my 2year old has green discharge coming from both eyes one is worse than the other does he need to go to the doctor what is this?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Hilary replied 6 years ago.
He needs to go to the doctor for eye drops to treat conjunctivitis.
This is very contagious and he should not attend day care until this is treated for 24 hours. Please reply with any further questions.
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience: 9 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 6 year old son
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the discharge from his eyes is now almost all white...does that stillmean he has pink eye?...the change has happened over the last 2hours should he still see the doctor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could the discharge jsut be a cold i the eye since it's sccompanied by a/started with a cough and sneezing? a sinus infection?
Expert:  Hilary replied 6 years ago.
Is the whites of the eyes clear or pink? It can be viral but most are still treated with antibiotic drops as it is so contagious. Rarely, it can be allergies. The safest thing to do is still to treat as bacterial. If you think that he suffers from allergies, you can try allergy eye drops as well, such as zaditor (OTC) or patanol is a prescription.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the whites are white but the eyes lower area around eyes are puffy and the corners are red
Expert:  Hilary replied 6 years ago.
is the green discharge mainly in the morning and after naps or do you see it all day long?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it's started around 3or4pm today and has been happening since after i wipe it, it takes about a half hour before the discharge builds up again and it started worse in one eye than the other and has no switched to being worse in the other eye than previously so the left is now leaking more than the right and the right has nearly no leakage...for now
Expert:  Hilary replied 6 years ago.
It is most likely viral or bacterial and should be treated with eye drops for conjunctivitis. He will probably wake up in the morning with the whites of his eyes pink- since it just began. He will not be allowed in daycare or other programs without treatment.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you very much :)
Expert:  Hilary replied 6 years ago.
you are welcome - have a good night