Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My 1 year old little boys gums are swollen, red and bleeding

My 1 year old little boy's gums are swollen, red and bleeding and it is worst around the teeth he has already cut. I noticed his gums were sensitive over the past few days because when ever he would put something in his mouth and it would bump his gums it would cause them to bleed a bit, but this morning I gave him some cheerios and his mouth was a bloody mess in a matter of minutes. He has been irritable at times the past few days, but not constantly. He has no fever and hasn't been sick at all. His diet is good as I am still breastfeeding him, but he also eats oatmeal (real, not baby cereal), avocados, applesauce, bananas, yogurt (whole milk organic), cheerios and other smaller amounts of foods which he will "try" off our plates when we eat a meal. The rest of his mouth looks normal, no sores, or bleeding anywhere else. Just around his 4 teeth he has cut in the front. Any idea as to what could be causing this? Thank you very much. Heather Johnston

Hello H J,

Most probably your child is having Scurvy, due to vitamin C deficiency.

It requires therapeutic dose of Vitamin C drops, 100 - 150 mg three times a day for a week and then daily maintenance dose of 50-75 mg once.

You could also apply any gel over gums containing glycerin etc for pain and irritation. He should not have any grainy or coarse food yet. Teeth may be cleaned with soft brush dipped in warm saline water.