Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 6 year old daughter has moveable lump in her breast, under

My 6 year old daughter has moveable lump in her breast, under her nipple. What could it be, and what should I do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. Girls, even at her age, have a small amount of estrogen produced by the ovaries and sometimes there will be a little surge of estrogen just prior to the onset of puberty. Generally breast development does not begin until around 8 but that is influenced by maternal puberty so, for instance, if you started your periods around 11 then breast buds can form as early as 7-8, roughly 2-3 years prior to onset of menses. It is usually just on one side at a time and is not usually painful.

Just leave it alone and don't squeeze or press it and it will not hurt or bother her at all. Next time you are in to see her doctor just have them take a look at it but again, if it is not painful, red and continuing to swell, then you need not worry at all.