Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Pediatrics, Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
27991315

My 6 year old has a bump on the back of his knee, behind the

My 6 year old has a bump on the back of his knee, behind the knee cap. It doesn't hurt or inflammed. What could it be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Based on your description, and the location of the bump, I definitely believe it's a Baker's cyst. A Baker's cyst is a fluid collection behind the knee. This cyst may be formed by the connection of a normal bursa (a normal lubricating fluid sac) with the knee joint. Nearly one half of Baker's cysts are found in children, where they appear as painless masses behind the knee that are more obvious when the knee is fully extended. A large cyst may cause some discomfort or stiffness but generally has no symptoms. Baker's cysts usually disappear spontaneously, but the time in which they do so is variable. Therefore, no treatment is needed unless it begins to bother your son. I wish you and your son well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the answer, as I have been reading about this on the Internet.
My pleasure. Be well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How long does it usually take for those Baker's cysts to go away, or will it? The bump hasn't gotten any bigger, it has gotten a little smaller.
It can take weeks to months for such cysts to disappear. I'm encouraged that it has become smaller, and I believe it will continue to do so. Take care, Dr. Davidson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I am just bothered by it. My son doesn't even notice it is there. Thanks again.
Happy to help. Take care.