Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

My 3 year old body temperature drops quite low at night, she

My 3 year old body temperature drops quite low at night, she was admitted to hospital one night at 17 months old with a temp of 32.4, which had brought on an aponea attack which the hospital could find no answer for. They checked her heart and tested her blood sugar with no results. We were discharged after being taught CPR and told not to get paranoid. Have you any ideas or is it just one of those things?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your daughter has this issue.

Did your thermometer at home show the 32.4 or was that in hospital? What other tests were done ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my digital thermometer showed this but the hospital had their own readings which corresponded.It took a few hours for her temp to return to normal. The heart trace was 24 hour recording and an ECG and blood sugars done before meals. As far as I recall that was the extent of the tests.

Thank you for the helpful additional information.

Had you noted the lower temps prior to this?

Lack of normal temperature regulation is quite rare. I'd recommend your daughter be checked by a pediatric endocrinologist to see whether further tests are needed.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I knew abbies feet would be cold in the mornings. That particular night she was wrapped in layers (vest, pajamas and fleece all in one) and in bed under a duvet with me. I was frustrated that no one could tell me why she was hypothermic and I know you can't either. Abbies temperature even now remains on the low side on my digital thermometer, checked in her ear, is 35.5 - under 36. I have commented on this to my doctor but he doesn't seem concerned and I end up feeling like an anxious parent!

I certainly understand your frustration and very normal anxiety.

35-36 range doesn't worry me but 32.4 verified does particularly as it was associated at least in time with apnea. A pediatric endocrine specialist can help you decide on pursuing further tests if any.

My concerns are: could she have been born with a rare condition that interferes with body temp regulation? or could she have something wrong with her pituitary / hypothalamus glands in the brain that makes her temp regulation go awry? The other functions of those glands can be checked by blood tests and if I were her pediatrician, that's where I'd start.

All best ; hope you get helpful answers soon,

Louise Sivak, M.D.