Dr. David , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

How do I tell if my child has chicken pox He woke up this

How do I tell if my child has chicken pox? He woke up this morning and told me that it felt like he had mosquito bites on him. I took him in the bathroom to look and he had several red bumps on his upper back and some around his underwear line and one or two on his elbows. I noticed none on his legs. He is 6 years old and has never had the chicken pox. I kept him out of school today because I wanted to watch him and see if the bumps spread. After this morning he has since started running a low grade fever and has gotten tired, he's actually asleep right now. His temp in 99.8. I know that's not much but for him it's enough. I noticed that there are a few red bumps on his legs now, not many but maybe 4 or 5. He says they itch. I gave him some benadryl this morning and bought some caladryl just a few hours ago. I just put it on him. I have since read that these bumps could be flea bites and we do have two cats in the house. Please help me.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that your son is having this problem.

Regarding your question, has he been immunized against chickenpox? Does he feel really bad and with very little energy? Do any of the little bumps look like little blisters with fluid in them? Do they seem to be spreading from his trunk to his extremities?

Please let me know and I will get back to you. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He's up to date on him immunizations. Apparently he feels bad, because trust me, he would not be asleep right now if he didn't. None of the bumps look like blisters to me, they look like whelps. What is considered his trunk? My husband said that he gave him a bath last night and noticed that he had a bump on his hip but didn't think anything about it. These bumps were not apparent at all last night, with the exception of that one bump. So, this morning the bumps were on his upper back and underwear line. Now they are on his legs, I haven't noticed but a few on his elbows and maybe one or two on his arms. But, none of them look like blisters. Blisters to me look like a bump with puss stuff under it...eww. None of them look like that. They just look like red bumps.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the further info.

Chickenpox in immunized children is quite uncommon and so I think he is unlikely to have chickenpox from that perspective alone. Chickenpox can start by looking like papules (red bumps), but then they progress to vesicles (as you say, bumps or blisters with fluid in them). This does not sound like what he has. He may have another type of virus or an allergic reaction to something. I would simply watch him for now and treat his fever and itching.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help further. Best of luck and I hope he is feeling better soon. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok well thanks for your help.