Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified, Ivy League educated Pediatrician.
25087362

My 6 year old has been vomiting nightly for the past five nights.

My 6 year old has been vomiting nightly for the past five nights. It started out late one night after he had fallen asleep. He awoke crying and had vomited all over the bed. He continued to vomit almost every 30-45 minuted for four hours that night. He also has had watery diarrhea for the last three days. There has been no fever or any other significant symptoms. He acts fairly normal throughout the day. Tonight he vomited his entire dinner only one hour after eating. We're worried since he has vomited for so many days. Any thoughts?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question

Speaking in general terms, vomiting which is then accompanied by diarrhea in an otherwise well looking child is usually a stomach bug, which is usually treated with supportive measures. It can last up to 2 weeks but usually lasts 3-5 days. There is a medication called zofran than can be used in kids to help them stay hydrated, and needs to be prescribed by your doctor if your child cannot stop vomiting. If he cannot keep fluids down and looks ill, has dry lips, is not crying with tears, or is not voiding normally, you will need to take your child to the ER for a evaluation and possibly for IV fluids

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've seen Rotavirus in my other children before but they didn't have the vomiting that lasted this long. Is Rotavirus likely here?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 6 years ago.
Rotavirus is possible here, but there are many other viruses such as norwalk virus which can behave the exact same way. If there is any blood or mucus in the stool, bacterial infections suhc as salmonella or shigella are possible. If there is any blood or green stuff in the vomit, he needs an evaluation.