DoctorMarcus
DoctorMarcus ,
28702373

My 4.5 year old son has a stuck stool and cannot poop. I felt

Customer Question

My 4.5 year old son has a stuck stool and cannot poop. I felt the stool in his anus and it is very hard. How can we get him to pass the stool?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DoctorMarcus replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your son's difficulties. One of the things that you can do to help pass hard stool in his rectum is use a children's glycerin suppository which can be bought at any drugstore. This is a small amount of a waxy material which melts inside and helps soften the stool and make it easier to pass.

It is important to try to avoid these hard stools in the first place. You should discuss using over the counter medications such as MiraLax to help keep him from holding too much stool inside his bowel.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.