Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My 5 year old is complaining his feet hurt -he keeps getting

Customer Question

My 5 year old is complaining his feet hurt -he keeps getting up and walking around not easily he is holding onto every object and needs help. It seems to be one foot at the ball/arch area and he has a fever of 102. He has been on the computer and doing homework as well and wants to do these things. My question is why are his feet hurting so bad? Should we go to the ER or wait till monday am? I am thinking it is fine for now- just need to ask another opinion. He would be lethargic if it was something serious- right? Thank you, kc
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am sorry your son has foot pain.

When did the foot pain begin relative to the fever? Do you see any swelling or bruising there or is the foot warm to touch?
Does the foot hurt when your son is not bearing weight on it?
Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has been sick since Tue with a fever and flu like symptoms but the foot thing started today. It is hot to the touch but he has a fever and so he is warm. He does say ouch ouch when I push on his foot moving it around. It doesn't throb he says and he doesn't complain while sitting. No bruising but it may look a little swollen... Now I wondered if this is just a coincidence with him being sick and he hurt his foot and hasn't told me.

I did taken him to the doctor for the flu like symptoms on thursday and he said he had the flu... fyi.

thank u... hope this helps.

Thank you for the helpful additional information.

It is not uncommon to get some joint aches with a flu-like illness and they are very common with influenza, but the location of your son's pain is very unusual for that as is the fact that one area seems to hurt out of proportion to the rest of his body. Was he tested for influenza or H1N1 on Thursday?

He may have injured his foot and not have told you.

It's a tough call about whether he should be seen today or first thing tomorrow. The safest thing would be to have him seen today in light of the fact that he cannot bear weight normally. What we would not want to miss or delay in treating is a septic (infectious) arthritis ; again that area would be an unusual location as it's typically the knee or the hip.

Please do have your son checked tomorrow morning if not tonight.

Hope you get an answer and he feels better soon.

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you that helps - He is wobbling around so I called his doc. Now the ibuprofen seems to be helping so we are going in to see him at 8am. I am a worried mom and home most the time with my boys-just worried and Needed advice.

It was just a flu they did a test and the results were negative for HINI but they still sent out a sample- haven't heard yet on that one.

Thank you for the response and the information.

You are most welcome and hope your son feels back to himself very soon.

Louise Sivak, M.D.