Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Pediatrics, Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
27991315

my 2 year old potty trained daughter hasnt peed in almost

my 2 year old potty trained daughter hasn't peed in almost 12 hours. she is eating and drinking ok and no fever. keeps pointing at her private area and says she has to go potty but won't sit on the toilet. what do i do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. The symptom you're describing is actually quite common among toddlers, especially those that are new to being potty trained. There are some things you can do, however. First, you can encourage her to use the toilet, but do so without seeming overly concerned. Kids can sense that, and then it almost becomes a game for control with them. They'll hold their urine just to try and gain control over the situation. 12 hours, while a long time, is not excessive. I've seen kids go >24 hours without urinating before, and they haven't been dehydrated or had any other conditions. I should note that if she is experiencing pain from an infection of her bladder/urethra, it may hurt to urinate, and that can keep kids from using the toilet. Finally, one home remedy that often works is a bath. The warm water often works wonders for this sort of thing. Again, the things to look out for are continued lack of urine >24 hours, any significant pain or fever.