Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

back of earlobe near piercing, a lump, blood and puss comes

back of earlobe near piercing, a lump, blood and puss comes out after warm compress. painful and looks slightly purple.ears pierceda a year ago, pt is 10
She probably needs to be on an antibiotic as it could be a staph infection. If she has no fever you can just use neosporin on her ears and be sure to put her earring back in at least once daily with neosporin on the post to get it inside her ear. If that doesn't help I'd take her in to her doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She has been running a low grade fever off and on. And she will not let me take it out, cries and shakes and gets so worked up. I have been so calm and slow to try and clean it, but it isn't going down and she starts crying like crazy. It kills me to see her so worked up. I think I need to take her in.

I went and looked for staph infection images on line and it does kind of look like that, not extreme like what I saw. I was concerned when it wouldn't go down after using the ear care solution, and tonight it looked slightly purple. Definetly calling her Dr. tomorrow.

That is exactly what I would advise as it is likely infected. Another thing I see quite often is the back of the earring can become trapped inside the earlobe so that is something to check for too. In any case, her doctor can assist you by removing it and then prescribing an oral antibiotic, such as Bactrim, that covers staph well. That is the most likely cause regardless of what you are seeing.

Call her doctor tomorrow.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I can still see the back of the earring, but afraid I won't if I don't get this taken care of. Thanks again. Calling her Dr.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You were right. It is a staph infection. Kelflex 3 times a day and neosporin. Took earring out , will have to get that re-pierced at a later date. Thanks again, not bad for not being able to see it!
Glad to be of assistance. Keep and eye on it though and if it doesn't start getting well in 24-48 hours she may need to be on Bactrim as so many staph infections are resistant to Keflex.

Thanks for letting me know.