Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board Certified, Ivy League educated Pediatrician.

My 9 month old son woke up with crust in his eyelashes and

My 9 month old son woke up with crust in his eyelashes and his eyes continue to weep. Is it possible that the weeping is from a cold or is it more likely that it is pink eye?
This sounds like pinkeye... and it sounds like youare doing the right thing

I would recommend that contact your pediatrician in the morning about getting him seen so that you can get some antibiotic eye drops. If he has a fever, looks ill, or there is redness around the eye, please get attention sooner than later

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He doesn't have a fever but he has been really fussy and impatient all day, is this normally a symptom of pink eye too? When you say redness around the eye - the skin around his eyes are slightly swollen and red, does this mean I should take him to urgent care or will waiting until the morning will be okay? ...... thank you for your help and direction.
the fussiness may be from an ear inection as sometimes an ear infection can fo along with pinkeye. If he looks ok and is smiling, then it's reasonable to wait until the morning, but if he has an ear infection, you will not have a god night, and an urgent care visit wil get you some antibiotics and he will be like new by tommorow morning. If he looks ill, you should take him in tonight no question

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He is asleep now, at his regular time but I wouldnt say he was smiling or happy and he is typically a happy baby. I am a first time mom, please forgive the continuous list of questions.

What I am taking away from what you have written is....since his eyes are red and swollen, and he was not a happy baby when he went to sleep, if he wakes up in the middle of the night (which he usually does not do) then I should be prepared to take him to urgent care, otherwise, let him sleep and get him to the doc tomorrow. Am I on key with that interpretation?

are his eyelids swollen? or are his eyelids fine and it's just redness o the white part of his eye?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The full eye lids are red and slightly swollen along with redness below the eye. I only see a hint of pink/red in the white of the eye itself.
Then I would take him now for antibiotics. He does not sound like pinkeye given this information. This sounds like an eyelid infection called presptal cellulitis, which cn spread and go behind the eye. Treated early, it is easily treatable with some antibiotics. My son had this several weeks ago, I went out in the evening and picked up antibiotics and he was pefect the next morning. This will probably only get worse, so I would get on top of it the sooner the better.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, we appreciate it. I'm glad your son is feeling better, I hope that ours will turn out as positive. Have a nice evening.