Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

My four year old son has had hard compacted stool and a bloated

My four year old son has had hard compacted stool and a bloated belly ever since he stopped breast feeding at 11 months old. I have tried every diet I could think of including a GFCF diet (gluteen free casin free diet) the doctors so far have just given him a lifetime supply of myralax. He had a B.E. done when he was 17 months old but they didn't find anything wrong. Even with the laxitive he won't have any bowel movement at all for days and when he does it either comes out rock hard, huge and all at once like flood gates are open or almost watery if the laxative has built up but there is never an in between just rock or water. He still wont have a bowel movement for days but again it comes out all at once. I have tried everything I could think of but it is always 3 to 5 days between movements with laxatives. I don't know what it could be or what esle I can do about it. help
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear that your son is having these issues, which can certainly be difficult and frustrating.

My thoughts are the following. I would first be sure to make sure there is no underlying problem. Even though the BE was normal, it may be worth considering a rectal suction biopsy to look for Hirschprung's missed by the BE (not likely). I would also have him checked for hypothyroidism, celiac disease, and lead if not done yet.

You may also want to ask a GI doctor about imaging to make sure there is no mass there (again not likely),

Regarding medication, I am not sure how much Miralax you are using but if necessary I would increase it (try 2 or 3 capfuls a day to get things going). This is in general quite safe.

I hope this helps. Please understand that this is a bit of a complex case that I likely have not solved for you remotely but hopefully have given you some useful ideas. Thank you and I hope he does great. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX