Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

My 6 year old has been having terrible stomach pain. She says

My 6 year old has been having terrible stomach pain. She says it is around her belly button. When I palpitate the four quadrans she expresses pain in the upper 2. She is only confortable in the fetal position. She is not eating much. She wakes at night in pain. She sits on the toilet for 20-30 minutes saying she has to poop but doesn't always go. Her bowel movements are not unusual in color or consistency. She has had 2-3 today. No fever but she did recently get over the swine flu. Any suggestions?
Hello and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having this pain. May I kindly ask a few questions: how long has this been going on? Does it come and go or is it there all the time? Is she vomiting at all? Please let me know and I will get back to you. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response.
She is not vomitting (did not vomit with flu either).
It is pretty constant.

This stomach pain began Friday, 2 days ago. It was so painful that after going to a great Halloween kids party she asked to leave so she could curl up. Her want to be on the toilet is great... but it sure doesn't seem like constipation because she is having bowel movements. It seems like it is a comfortable position for her to sit in and when she pushes it does feel a little tiny bit better.

She did mention tonight that the pain is going into her sides a bit but not in her back.
Thank you for the further information. My thoughts are the following:

(1) Even though she is pooping, she might still have some degree of constipation, especially if the amount she is producing is small. Some kids will even be almost completely blocked up with some stool going around the blockage.

(2) I think she should have her urine checked, especially for blood. Two reasons for that: something called HSP which is an inflammatory problem that can cause severe belly pain and kidney problems (watch for a purplish rash, especially on the legs and buttocks) and also, though rare, kidney stones can cause this sort of pain, especially if it is going to the flanks.

(3) I think if this is not better relatively soon she should see her doctor and consider some blood work and an abdominal x-ray as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can do anything further. Best of luck and I hope she does well. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

I think I need to also tell you that she began having stomach pain back in September. After consulting her pediatrician 3-4 weeks ago he believed it was the 'functional' pain since the pain was minor and did not affect her appetite, sleep, play, etc. She began Kindergarten this year (thoguh she has been in school for 2 years) and he believed the pain was more in reference to emotion...

I agreed it most likely is/was. She had minor pains daily but didn't complain all day and I did not bring it up if she didn't talk about it.

But now the pain since Friday is keeping her in the fetal position and waking her at night.

Can I give her Pedia-Lax, a children's laxative? Could it do any damage if she has something more serious than just a blockage?

Again, thank you so much. This has really taken a toll on us this past weekend. I do plan to make an appointment with her pediatrician tomorrow hoping he will listen to me and not blow it off as the minor pain I brought up 4 weeks ago.
Thank you for the further information and questions. My answers are as follows:

(1) With regards XXXXX XXXXX this is a brand name for a number of different products. Most are quite safe but be sure to read the directions. I happen to like Miralax better but this is fine for the time being. It could only do damage if she had a total blockage (but she would presumably be vomiting, so I think the risk is exceptionally low).

(2) When you see your doctor, be sure to explain clearly and emphatically how and why this pain is DIFFERENT than the previous one (worse, unremitting, etc)--this should get his attention.

Again I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can do anything further. Best of luck, Dr David