Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 6 year old son

how long does percocet stay in breast milk Can it build u

how long does percocet stay in breast milk? Can it build up?

Percocet is usually prescibed to treat pain after delivering a baby. The tylenol is safe to take while breastfeeding. The other component oxycodone passes through the breast milk and can have side effects on the baby. While it is usually safe, it is best to avoid if possible. However watch for any signs such as breathing problems, excessive sleeping, or feeding problems, if you take Percocet while breastfeeding. the medication lasts about 4 hours in your system and breast milk.

Please reply with any further questions.

If I have answered all of your questions, please click accept and take a moment to leave feedback.

Thanks and congratulations on your new baby.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am worried about taking too much. How much passes on and can it build up in her system? I take it every four hours so she does not get a break.

I would take 1 instead of 2 if you can for the pain. She will clear it from her system (as long as she is otherwise healthy). I am assuming that you are breastfeeding about every 3 hours. Try breastfeeding first and then taking the percocet after you feed her, so that by the time that you are ready to feed again, the level is not as high. If you take the percocet the highest level in the breast milk is 30 minutes later and then decreases. So try to avoid feeding her within such a close time frame to taking the medication.

If you start to notice that she is having problems that I mentioned before - breathing ,excessive sleepniness, difficult to arouse, poor feeding then you may have to decrease the percocet or supplement the feeding with formula. But if she doesnt have any problems, then you will be fine