Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

My 4 year old is urinating frequently. The doctor tested his

My 4 year old is urinating frequently. The doctor tested his urine and has found that it has low concentration after 10 hours of not urinating. He is having us measure the intake of fluids and write that down along with how often he is going for the next 2-3 days. Could our son have diabetes. How much urination is too much for a 4 year old?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

For how long has your son been urinating frequently?

From what you've written so far I agree with his pediatrician's next step.

I doubt this is diabetes mellitus, but your son may have a condition called diabetes insipidus in which the kidneys continue to make dilute urine even when the person is not drinking (and the kidneys should make more concetrated urine). If that's the case, this can be due to a kidney problem, or a problem in the pituitary gland in the brain that secretes anti-diuretic hormone. This urine measurement (and I assume some blood tests) are a good first step.

I hope this helps and please tell me if you have further questions.

Regards,

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has always done this. Finally his doctor is listening to me. He is not over weight at all. What if the output is the same amount that he is taking in but just frequently. Little bit at a time could that still be a possibility of diabetes?
The tests that your child's pediatrician are doing are aimed at localizing the source of the potential problem: kidney versus something else. You wrote before that the urine is too dilute ; that points to diabetes insipidus but the timed collection and blood tests must be done to confirm or exclude that. If these tests aren't helpful, then your son's pediatrician should focus on his kidney function and anatomy.
Has your son ever had an ultrasound of his kidneys and ureters?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. He had to have Lasik when he was a newborn due to OpenHeart Surgery for Transposition of the Great Vessels. But hasn't needed it for anything else. This was the pediatricians first step.

OK.

I agree with his pediatrician's first step.

Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology