Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Should I be concerned that my sons poop is green Very green.

Customer Question

Should I be concerned that my son's poop is green? Very green. and very loose.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 6 years ago.
The color of the stool is related to how fast the contents of the stomach get through the rest of the GI tract. Bile is secreted into the first portion of the small intestines and colors the stool green and then by the time that it is digested and in the colon it changes to brown. Usually when kids have a stomach virus the stool is green due to the fast transit time so I'm sure that is all that is going on. If he is otherwise well then I wouldn't worry at all and it will be over in a few days. There is no treatment and you really don't have to modify his diet as long as he is not vomiting and the more normal the diet the sooner his stools will return to normal.