Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

Hi. My step-son (2 years old) has a rash along the diaper-line

Customer Question

Hi. My step-son (2 years old) has a rash along the diaper-line (they switched to pull-ups recently) that looks bumpy, raised, fluid-filled. It started yesterday looking like a heat rash, but when I saw him today, the blisters are bigger and they multiplied. He has not been on meds that I know of, no known food allergies. No fever. The genitals/anus area as well as his entire body are perfectly healthy. He just had 4 shots last week, flu shots, Hep B, chicken pox. He has a few small bumpies on his face, bilaterally, b ut he has always had those to some extent since I have known him. Any suggestions? Should we take him to the ER? Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.

At present a visit to the ER is not required given the lack of any other symptoms like excessive lethargy, high fever etc.

The rash is likely to be an infected heat rash, and may respond to simple topical antibiotic application like Bacitracin / triple antibiotic cream.

However if the rash continues to increase, then a visit on Monday Morning to the pediatrician is indicated for confirming the diagnosis and starting oral antibiotics for the same as indicated,

The shots are unlikely to be related to these lesions as you are describing,
Let me know if you need more information,