DoctorMarcy
DoctorMarcy , Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Fifteen years in private practice and single mom to a 7 year old from Guatemala.
20629981

my child has had a low-grade fever three days now. He was

my child has had a low-grade fever three days now. He was fine for almost 24 hours after his first fever but it came back yesterday evening. This morning, the fever returned. Temperature is between 99 and 100. He has dry coughs during these days but not constant. His cough this morning sounded like it had a little fluid in it. His doctor tested him for flu and strep three days ago which were negative. Should I be concerned? We have been treating him with children's Motrin at the first sign of fever.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DoctorMarcy replied 6 years ago.

It is not unusual for children to keep temps under 100 for several days with a simple cold. The fluid you hear in his cough is likely related to drainage down the back of his throat, which often gets worse for the first 3 or 4 days of a cold.

If he developed ear pain, chest pain or headache with his cough and congestion, it would be worth getting him re-checked to be sure he hasn't developed an ear infection, sinusitis or bronchits/pneumonia. Usually these things would also cause the temp to rise (over 101), but not all children have fever with these complications.

If his temp stays fairly low as it is now and he has no pain or difficulty breathing, it is likely just a cold that needs to run its course.