Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 6 year old son
20201159

Found lump on top of my two years old head.

Customer Question

Found lump on top of my two year's old head.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Hilary replied 7 years ago.

can you describe it? is it movable? how large is it? is it red or swollen? did he fall? has he been sick recently? is there a rash? where exactly is it?

please reply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The lump is about the size of a quarter on the left front side of his head if you are looking at him, or his right side. The lump is not moveable that I can tell and he lets you touch it without any trouble. He hasn't been sick other than an ear infection about a month ago. He hasn't acted differently other than repeating the same word over and over again which I think is typical of a 2-year old. He has fallen quite a bit lately mainly due to a left foot that turns slightly in, but anytime he has hit his head recently has been on the forehead.
Expert:  Hilary replied 7 years ago.

is it in his scalp? behind his ear? under his chin?

I am trying to figure out if it sounds like a lymph node from recent infection? so I need you to describe the location as best as possible? Is it noticable by just looking at him or do you have to touch it to notice it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is on his scalp. The lump is near his hair line and above his forehead. You can't notice it until it you rub his head.
Expert:  Hilary replied 7 years ago.

From the location, it sounds like he bumped his head into something and not a lymph node from a prior infection. Since it is not red, or painful there is nothing to worry about. They usually take a few weeks to resolve. He is certainly still at the age that there are frequent falls and accidents and very few of them result in any serious problems.

Certainly if any concerning symptoms develop he should be seen by his pediatrician, but it certainly sounds like he will be just fine and this is nothing to worry about.

please reply with any further questions.

if I have answered all of your questions, have a great night.

thanks