Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications

Why does my baby move her head side to side when sleeping

Why does my baby move her head side to side when sleeping?

The child is 7 months old and is constantly doing it every time she goes to sleep for approximately 1/2 hour and sometimes during her sleep. It happens during the daytime naps too. Otherwise, when awake, everything seems ok.

Thanks for any reply on this.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your post. Congratulations on your daughter.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX question, I would appreciate a video, yes (you can post to Youtube or somewhere else and I will look at it if you give me the link). Without it, I can't say exactly what is going on. However, I will try to reassure you that infantile spasms are rare, usually are associated with delayed development, and shoud occur during the day as well. If you wish, a good example of infantile spasms is here

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help with anything else. Best wishes and congratulations again. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Please check this video snapshot:, starting from 1min30sec. This video has been taken more than 2 months ago, and the condition in there never improved but got worse IMO. This afternoon and tonight, moments after placing the baby in his bed, she started jerking her head violently; it's the same movement as in video, the amplitude and the force of the movement is only bigger.

Other info that might help the diagnosis: it's about a premature baby (33 weeks) but everything else went ok it seems, she's gaining weight, etc. Also, she gets startled very easily, but that might be normal too. She seems to sleep well at night (sometimes for 10 hours or more straight), but she hardly seeps during the day (3-4 sessions of no more than half an hour), which is on the lower side of what I heard it's normal (maximum 14 hours in 24 hours).She regurgitates a lot, very often and that is something that we just have to live with as nothing really helps(burping the baby, venting fancy bottles). She is breastfed since the very beginning, it's only in evenings we give her some baby milk formula.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I can't see this video--it's marked "private" in youtube. Can you try it some other way? Did you look at the other video I sent and does your daughter look simiilar?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the video is public now, you should have access.

thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the video, which I can now see. These do NOT look like infantile spasms to me at all and again the fact that they happen exclusively at night is even more reason why I think this way. This appears to me to be normal myoclonic movements of sleep. If you are terribly worried you can ask your pediatrician for an EEG but I think this will be normal. Again this is just my opinion and if you would like to show this to your pediatrician please do.

I hope this is reassuring. Again congratulations and please let me know if I can help with anything else. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX