Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience:  3 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 9 month old son
20201159

Sudden onset of Ear ache Jaw ache and chest pain about 2 hours

Customer Question

Sudden onset of Ear ache Jaw ache and chest pain about 2 hours ago. Onset of headache and shivering approx 1 hour ago.
C/O Nausea, pain in jaw and ear, headache (painful to move) pain in chest.
Temp 37.85C Axilla

Boy of 9

No other illnesses or problems
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Hilary replied 5 years ago.
He was completely well prior to 2 hours ago? no cold or cough symptoms? where is the headache? Is it both ears or just one? Is he coughing at all? Where is the pain in the chest? Is it in the center over the sternum? Any difficulty breathing? Did you do anything unusual today? Any recent travel? Where are you from (local insects/ticks/illnesses)? is he generally healthy or does he have any ongoing medical problems? please reply so that I can better help you.
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience: 3 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 9 month old son
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No S&S prior to onset. No recent travel. No coughs or colds. Headache is centred at the back. Discomfort is both ears. Chest pain is bilateral over and above nipple line. Pulse radially is 110 . We are in New Zealand no poisonous creatures here! (other than some politicians) Generally he is in good health.
Expert:  Hilary replied 5 years ago.

his pulse is a little bit elevated for his age - does he seem nervous or agitated. pain can also elevate your heart rate. This is not a consistent presentation with any significant illness.

Ear infections are typically unilateral, can be both ears but generally dont appear just to start from no where. generally there is a preceding cold or cough symptoms.

I am concerned with the chest pain that just started. has it been persistent for the past 2 hours. how severe is it? is he having any difficulty breathing? did he perform any strenuous activity today where he could have pulled a muscle - heavy lifting or contact sports.

Does he have a sore throat? is it winter time for you in new zealand?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Its officially spring here. hes not nervous or agitated (happily watching Star Wars) definitely no cough or cold prior to onset.

Chest pain/ discomfort is not persistant and has no particular identifying factors (ie crushing stabbing etc) Its not made worse on breathing in or out seems to be the least of the little fellas concerns.

temp has reduced to 38.22c axilla so Paracetamol seems to be working Josh describes no alteration in his hearing. No lifting or sports.

Expert:  Hilary replied 5 years ago.

I am glad that the chest pain is not persistent and not having any difficulty breathing. It sounds like he is coming down with a viral illness - certainly nothing to be overly concerned with. just keep an eye on the symptoms and keep the fever down with fever reducers. If the ear pain gets worse, i would have him checked for ear infection - but for now just keep an a watch on it. If the headache worsens to a severe level, I would seek more immediate medical attention.

I hope that this information has been helpful. Please reply with any further questions. i think that he will be just fine, but any worsening symptoms will require evaluation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Hilary I had been coming to the same conclusion just needed a bit of re-assurance! Thanks again.
Expert:  Hilary replied 5 years ago.
you are welcome. I am happy to help.