Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

an unborn baby has fluid around the kidneys, what medical condition

Customer Question

an unborn baby has fluid around the kidneys, what medical condition or defect is this
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
Most likely what they are referring to is hydronephrosis, or enlarged kidneys, and this is actually not that uncommon on fetal sonograms. This finding can indicate a problem with the drainage system of the kidney such as an obstruction of the ureter that drains urine from the kidneys to the bladder.

More commonly on followup sonograms on you or after the baby is born will not reveal anything wrong. I would not worry too much as I can't tell you how many times I've seen this finding during pregnancy that is not verified when we do a sono on the baby as it is much more accurate. Still, it is important to know this ahead of time as they follow your pregnancy and at delivery so the appropriate evaluation of the baby can be performed.

I hope this eases your mind a bit and I'm sure your doctor will stay on top of this.