Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My seven year old daughter has a low grade fever, headache

Customer Question

My seven year old daughter has a low grade fever, headache and a bluish tinge around her eyes. She does not normally run fevers at all and is not complaining of any other symptoms.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 4 years ago.
At her age she should be able to tell you if anything hurts but sometimes they don't complain about sore throats. If she has swollen lymph nodes (glands) in her neck or a red throat then I'd take her in to be looked at tomorrow. Otherwise, just give her motrin or tylenol and see what other symptoms occur in the next 24 hours or so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not exactly pleased with this answer...was hoping for some insite as to what would cause these types of symptoms to come on fairly quickly. As I mentioned she has no other symptoms and is saying she has no other pain than the headache. Advised to give tylenol and monitor is what I would consider a starting point to these symptoms, and could have been recieved from any where on the internet, not exactly the response i was hoping for from a pediatrician.
Children this time of year are exposed to many viruses and bacterial infections that cause fever but it often take at least 48 hours before other symptoms may be present to help us figure out what is wrong. Her symptoms are fairly general for many illnesses but if she is not complaining of anything specific then all you need to do is treat her fever to make her comfortable.

Often we see parents bring children in to be seen on the first day of the fever and we can't see anything yet either - that is why lots of tests get run that don't need to be done. Waiting another night is not going to hurt and then I would perhaps give her doctor a call to see if they want to take a look at her.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me feel more like I'm actually talking to a real expert.
I'm glad I was able to help you.