Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

why would a 4 year old male have high protein in his urine

Customer Question

why would a 4 year old male have high protein in his urine?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your post. It has been redirected to pediatrics. There are several answers to your question--some of them are not serious, while others might be. The first issue is why the urinalysis was done. If it was done as a screening test only, and your son is asymptomatic, then it very well may be nothing to worry about. You should know that the concentration of the urine can significantly affect the test for protein so perhaps he was a bit dehydated. There is also a common entity called orthostatic proteinuria. He's a little on the young side for this, but you should know about it. This is when the child has protein in the urine during the day but in a first morning urine has no protein.

Finally, there are other, more serious problems such as urinary tract infections, nephrotic syndrome, or other kidney problems. The key things here are the boy's symptoms, whether the creatinine in the blood is elevated, and the other findings in the urinalysis.

The other thing you should know is that there are grades of protein in the urine, from 1+ to 2+ to 3+. The more protein present, clearly the more attention required. If your son's protein is on the low end, I would suggest repeating it and seeing if it is still present.

I hope this is helpful. If you have other questions, please let me know. Best wishes and I hope he does well. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX