Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D. , Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
16877601

My baby is 9 months old and cries everytime is time for a nap

Customer Question

My baby is 9 months old and cries everytime is time for a nap or sleeping. She finally falls asleep and once I put her in her crib she starts to cry hysterically. What can I do to change this? My babysitter and I are starting to loose our minds and don't know what to do? Please help.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
How long has your baby had this crying issue?
First and foremost, it is crucial that you take her to her pediatrician for her check ups on schedule. She probably had a check up when she was 6 months old and may be due for one soon. You should bring up this concern with her pediatrician.
If your baby is crying "only" when it is time for her to go to sleep, it is highly likely that this is her way of communicating that she is tired. Infants can only verbalize being upset by crying, and she cannot understand that if she quiets and goes to sleep, then she will feel better.
When she cries, once you have ascertained that she does not need a diaper change and you know she is not hungry, you may have to let her cry. If this does not work for you, then certainly you can hold her while she sleeps, which I suspect is what she wants.
I hope this helps some and please tell me if you have additional questions.
Best of luck.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, she only cries when its time for her to go to sleep. I do have an appointment scheduled for her 9 month check up at the end of the month. She's healthy so I'm not concerned. I enjoy holding her until she falls asleep. However, do I just let her cry once I put her down in the crib? And for how long? Or is there something else you suggest I do? How can I get her to fall asleep without crying and sleep longer? She usually only sleeps for about 20 - 30 minutes. So she doesn't sleep long. Sleeps only about 1 hour a day total. I don't think that's enough for a 9 month, is it?

Thank you for the additional information.
I agree that only one hour sounds like too little time, but if your daughter is otherwise thriving then she seems to be tolerating it.
Some babies like to sit in those rocker swings to go to sleep; if you do you this please make sure she has appropriate supervision. You might try other simple measures like singing or reading to her so she hears the sound of your voice to lull her to sleep.
Also, when are you feeding her in relation to putting her down for sleep? Some babies have acid reflux, and it may be that if she lies down shortly (within an hour) or taking food or liquids, she is getting reflux that causes discomfort. Can you try to identifiy any foods that seem to bother her?
Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.
Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Louise Sivak, M.D.