Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

My 4 year old son complains about itching in his rectum area.

Customer Question

My 4 year old son complains about itching in his rectum area. The parasite test has been negative. Suppositories help. What is the cause and how can we treat and prevent this?

Thank you
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your post. When you say the 'parasite test,' I assume you mean the test for pinworms. If this is not correct, my apologies; please ask your doctor about this.

To be honest, I can't be absolutely sure why stooling would improve itching in that area. However, if it does, then you may want to try to help him go regularly by increasing fiber in his diet via fresh fruits and vegetables, increase his fluid intake, and try a medication called Miralax daily (or every other day if he is going too much on daily medication).

I hope this is helpful. If you have further questions, please let me know. I hope your son does well. Best wishes, Dr David
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Doctor. The suppository is for relieving the itching and burning sensation. I want to know what causes the rectum area of a 4 year old boy to itch and how I can prevent this.

Sincerely
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Again without examining him, I can't be absolutely sure. It is likely that he is not clearning the area totally after he stools. It also could be certain acidic foods are irritating the area; I would avoid sodas and citrus for a while and see how that goes. It may also simply a sense of discomfort from having to stool. It may be some irritation of the rectal muscles. It may be some irritation of the skin, though one would think that you would see something there. My apologies that I can't give you a specific answer but I think the lack of complete wiping after a stool is most likely.

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX