Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology

My 8 year old son has been having headaches with vomiting ,

Customer Question

My 8 year old son has been having headaches with vomiting , knee and shoulder joint pain, and hardly any appetite. they just took blood and did a CAT scan of his brain today but i won't get the results for 2 weeks.   Do you have an idea of what might be wrong ? What should i do if all these test come back fine?    Because i do believe something is wrong. Also he sleeps 12+ hours a night and i still have to fight to get him up some mornings.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Good for you for getting your son to medical attention.
The symptoms you describe are very worrisome for a potentially serious condition.
How long has your son had headaches? Was the vomiting always with the headache or seemingly not related? How does the joint pain relate to the headaches?
The results of a CT scan and blood tests are typically back within hours. I am very concerned that your son may have a serious condition and I urge you to call his doctor ASAP to "pester" (if needed) for the results.
Has your son lost weight>
Thank you.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my son has lost about 1.5 pounds.   The vomiting is usually always related to the headache. He doesn't always vomit though with headaches it just depends on how bad the headaches become.   I don't know if the headaches and joint pain are related because he doesn't always have both things at the same time. He acts like hes an old man at times when he has the pain and some people say its probably growing pains but i think thats rediculous. I am concerned that if the tests come back normal that they will say hes fine because in my heart i just don't think its nothing.   He has had headaches for atleast a year but they have gotten much more frequent and stronger for the past month. If has had to come home from school before for the headaches in the past.
Thank you for the helpful additional information.
I share your concern. I reiterate that you should call your son's doctor tomorrow for the results of the scan and blood work. At least they will rule out some potentially serious conditions and you both and his doctor can move from there.
I cannot give you a diagnosis without examining your son and seeing the same test results, but headache in young people is always a big concern. The CT scan was done to make sure your son does not have a mass (benign or malignant) in the brain. The fact that he's had headaches for a year makes a malignant process UNlikely.
Migraine is another possibility. Has he had his vision checked by an ophthalmologist (not just the eye chart)?
Please let me know if you have more questions, and I urge you to be persistent with your son's doctor to get these results.
Best of luck,
Louise Sivak, M.D.