Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  Board-certified pediatrician at children's hospital, former chief resident, multiple publications
20089981

My 9 year old child has a 102 fever, with coughing and body

My 9 year old child has a 102 fever, with coughing and body aches and stomch cramps
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your post. A few questions if you don't mind: is he/she otherwise healthy? Any medications? When did this start? Where are you located? Please get back to me and I will give you my thoughts soon. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in sarasota florida, she stated coughing last night,then at 2pm high 102 fever her body aches but she is saying she has a stomach ache and wants to throw up to, her ped.Dr wont be in until 9am so wasn't sure if I should take her to Hospital she looks sick, just laying on the couch,with cold chills to Thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. This sounds like it could be flu (H1N1), though of course I can't diagnose your daughter with anything remotely. If she looks very sick or you have concerns about dehydration (sunken eyes, dry lips, no urine for more than 8-12 hrs, etc), then please have her seen. Although it may be scary, the H1N1 is no more dangerous than regular flu at this point--maybe even less so. That being said, certain kids can get quite sick and so they should be seen. If you are seriously considering taking her to the hospital, the please do so. They may start her on the anflu medication called Tamiflu.

I hope this is helpful. I hope she is feeling better very soon. Again if you are conflicted, please be on the safe side and take her. Thank you and best wishes, Dr David