Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years work experience in ny/nj and mother to my 6 year old son
20201159

My 4 year olds vagina is very red, looked like there was a

My 4 year olds vagina is very red, looked like there was a tiny bit of blood in her underwear and I think it is from her not wiping well. I gave her a baking soda bath and was wondering what else I can do to help heal it so that it doesnt burn when she pees.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Hilary replied 7 years ago.

is there any blood in the urine? does she have a fever? is she complaining of burning while she pees. has she ever had an infection in her urine. was there any trauma to the area. are there any open cuts. is there any white discharge

please reply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I dont see any blood in the urine. No fever and yes she was crying when she was peeing... I had her pee in the tub with the baking soda and she was fine with that. It does look like there is a possible little cut... No discharge

Expert:  Hilary replied 7 years ago.

This is a tough age for getting kids to wipe well. they either wipe too hard or not well enogh. In either case, the outside can get a little irritated. It does not sound like she has a yeast infection or urinary tract infection.

The baking soda bath is very helpful. I would also try some diaper cream to coat the surface and provide a soothing barrier.

In terms of preventing this from recurring, sometimes it is helpful to buy the flushing wipes for the kids to wipe themselves. there are different brands like kadoo, etc.

this will not irritate the skin like the toilet paper can.

If the rash does not improve in a few days, or if the burning worsens, she should see the pediatrician to make sure that she does not have an infection in the urine, a yeast infection or sometimes kids can get a strep infection in the vaginal/rectal area that requires antibiotics.

If she develops fever at any time, she should also be seen.

If you have any further questions, please ask.

If I have answered all of your questions, please click accept and take a moment to leave positive feedback