Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

is there a alternative medication for amoxicillin

Customer Question

my 7 month old son has an ear infection and the doctor prescribed amoxil for him and i am allergic to that and all cillins and there is also family history of being allergic to the same medicine so i was hoping that you could tell me an alternative for this antibiotic
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
There are other medications that can be given but unless he has a reaction there is no reason not to use amoxicillin other than just to alleviate your worry. Specific allergies to drugs are NOT inherited, only the tendency toward allergies and unless he's had amoxicillin before and had a reaction, it should be fine unless he develops one on his own.

As an alternative, I would suggest a cephalosporin such as Cefzil, Omnicef, or Suprax as they work very well for otitis media.