Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 5 year old has a rash on her face. I took her to the er

My 5 year old has a rash on her face. I took her to the er last night and they said it is imoptago. I am looking ofr a second opion. it is on her face it is not clustered and it is not red like chicken pox, also does not have a crusty oz to it. She also had hives 12 hours before this. The rase is has clrear bubles but are not to gether. I have look in the mayo book of rashe and on line and I can not find one that looks like it. Oh she also when swiming 6 hours before. but it is not alover her body . oh and last week we here fighting a week long fever in her.
I hope you can help oh she is on vysean for adhd.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
I assume you mean impetigo, which is a staph infection usually and can be either a oozing honey-colored crust or pustules. It is not related to hives or swimming but is contracted from other children and can be carried in the nose and spread out on the face by fingers.

It can be treated with oral antibiotics and sometimes a topical antibiotic called mupiracin, plus you need to wash off the crust a couple of times a day and then apply either a prescription cream or just neosporin or other over the counter antibiotic cream.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok that is was I do not uderstand ther is no crusty ooz. And it is not in a circle.
Impetigo can be from simple staph infections, in which case it is crusty, or putules, abscesses, etc due to more serious staph infections that require stronger antibiotics.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
her rash is not is a small circle and it is not oozing when would it start oozing?
it depends on whether the antibiotic works or not. Sometimes it never oozes if the antibiotic kills the germ. If it is just a viral rash following all the other symptoms she had then it will just disappear in a couple of days.