Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta , Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My child has had a low grade fever for 5 days. The fever,

Customer Question

My child has had a low grade fever for 5 days. The fever, which is intermitant, has ranged from 100 to 102.7 and is being treated with ibuprophen and tylenol. He is a little less active than usual but seems ok with no other symptoms.

We have seen the pediatrician and he did blood work, flu test and urinalysis. All looked ok.

The reason we are concerned is that only 3 wks ago he had the same incidence of fever. The last incidence lasted about 6 days and fever ranged from 100 to 102.

Should we just assume this is two different viruses. Should we pursue more tests?

The child is male and 10 years old. Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
As a pediatrician I do come across similar cases wherein a child suffers from two episodes of fever that have occurred quite close together.
I would attribute these to probably a slightly decreased immunity caused by the first infection, leading to increased susceptibility to another bout of infection by a different virus.
Since the child has been evaluated and the tests are normal, I do believe that your guess is correct. At the present time a wait and watch policy should suffice, with further tests being planned if the fever persists for more than a week, or the child has any other severe symptoms,
warm regards