Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My local Pharmacist recommended Dimetapp Cold and Cough for

Customer Question

My local Pharmacist recommended Dimetapp Cold and Cough for my Twins. They are almost 4 yrs old and weigh just over 40 pounds! The box and all info online says not for under 6 years old. Is it OK to take my Pharmacist's advice and give them the Cold and Cough Dimetapp?

Sincerest of Thanks,
Christene Howse
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
Despite all the concern about using these types of medications in children, in my many years of practice I've never seen a bad side-effect from these common medications in children even a year of age when the dose was followed correctly. The problem and labeling stems from issues with some parents who don't ask questions as you have about the correct dose or estimating the dose used on an older child.

You may use the Dimetapp as your pharmacist advised and depending on their weight at a dose of 1/2 to 3/4 tsp would be fine.

thanks for asking first!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They are almost 4 years old and are about 41 to 43 lbs. What dosage would you reccommend? The label says 6 to 12 yrs old...2 tsps, every 4 hours!
I'd just give them 3/4 tsp every 6 hours and that should work well. Thanks for the feedback also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! You are awesome!
You are quite welcome!