Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 6 year old son complained of sudden onset, severe jaw pain

My 6 year old son complained of sudden onset, severe jaw pain today. He also has puffy eyes and his eyelids are darker than usual. He also has nasal congestion and is otherwise very healthy. What could be going on?
There are several things that can do this: allergies with sinus pain radiating to the jaw, a tooth abscess, a lymph node behind his jaw bone under the ear. If he doesn't have any fever then it is likely allergy. If he has fever then he should see his doctor tomorrow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. My son did have a low grade fever yesterday and also complained of neck pain so I took him to a walk-in clinic. That doctor wanted me to take him to the ER for a spinal tap to rule out meningitis but instead I went to the pediatrician for a second opinion. He didn't think the neck was stiff, just sore from very swollen glands. His ears/nose/throat were all clear and strep test was negative. So, I guess he just has some type of general infection.

My son still has a low fever/jaw pain with puffy eyes but he feels fine with regular doses of children's Motrin.
Gina Montana
I'm glad you took him to the pediatrician as the "doc in the boxes" are staffed with adult medicine doctors and really don't have the experience with kids that we do in deciding who is really sick and what to do.

Thanks for following up with me and I'm glad he's better.