Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

what causes a baby to be born with two thumbs on one hand

Customer Question

what causes a baby to be born with two thumbs on one hand? trying to find an answer befor thay take it off cause no one can tell us..
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
It is not that unusual to see but always a bit disturbing to parents. Separation and removal by a good hand surgeon/orthopedist is fairly simple and the cosmetic results will be good. I don't think there are any other problems related to extra digits (fingers or toes) when an isolated problem and the baby is otherwise normal in every way.

Sometimes there is a family history, especially with extra toes, so you might ask at the next family reunion but other than that it is not a cause for alarm.

I hope this helps calm your fears a bit.