Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 3 month old baby has gritty sand-like particles in his stool.

My 3 month old baby has gritty sand-like particles in his stool. He is breastfed only and I do not eat any dairy because he is allergic. I have a very basic diet. I took him to his peds doctor who said he did not know what was causing it. Any ideas?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 7 years ago.
I have seen many healthy happy babies with the same stools and none of them seemed to be in any distress. The digestion of breast milk is quite different than formula and solids and variable from day to day and week to week. If he is eating well and in no distress I wouldn't worry and I've never been a fan of theories about maternal diet and breast milk. Good luck and keep up the nursing.