Pankaj Maijerwar
Pankaj Maijerwar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D. (Physician). working with children of all ages since last 7+ years.
16381352

How long does my child have a fever until I call the Doctor

How long does my child have a fever until I call the Doctor? The fever has stayed at 100 to 101 for 6 hours.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Pankaj Maijerwar replied 7 years ago.
It depends upon a few things. I'll try to explain them to you and then you take your own judgment.

1. If we consider it to be a viral fever (if only fever is the major symptom)then you can keep the child over periodic administration paracetamol according to weight and age and wait for 2 and a half days (you haven't provided the details of your child like age, weight etc).

2. If fever gets associated with persistent cold or cough or burning in urine or severe joint pain or throat pain or loose stool, then it would be better to consult a doctor in person along with the patient as then some sort of examination will be required which only a doctor can do.

3. If only paracetamol doesn't take the fever down at all, or only works partially and the child is still having fever (more than 99 degrees Fahrenheit or more than 37.5 degrees Celsius) then get the child examined rather than self monitoring the dose of paracetamol.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX my effort could help you in the decision making.