Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
206912

A kids temp is at 95.7 is that in the normal range

A kids temp is at 95.7 is that in the normal range?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Was this a oral (mouth) temperature reading?

Is he sick? Did he feel hot? Or the chills?

Did he recently have something cold to drink?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

OK.

Since you are offline at the moment, generally 95 degrees or below is considered hypothermia:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothermia/DS00333

Oral temperatures tend to run on the lower side, than say a true temperature (rectal), and also if the temperature was taken close to when he may have had a drink of cool water/soda, etc, it also could have influenced the temperature reading.

Regardless, if this is a true reading, the simplest thing is to bundle up. If this is a possible reaction to an infection (e.g. he has other symptoms) keeping a close eye on the temp and other symptoms, if worsens, to take him to the pediatrician.

But if I have been outside on a cold day and gotten a little chilly, my temperature could run a little lower than normal, like the temperature he has.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it's two girl's they are 2 year old with 95.7 and the scound girl is 4 year old with 100.4 temp. my question is there temp. normal?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

The average temperature, when taken in the mouth, is 97.6

95.7 is lower than average, but is probably still considered near normal and not hypothermia (below 95).

A temperature of 100.4 is higher than normal, and probably would be considered a temperature, which could be caused by illness, or hot weather / exercising / hot baths, etc.

Of course, both of these temperatures could have been affected by recent cold or hot drinks.