Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Pediatrics), DM ( Gastroenterology).
14495901

My 3 year olds pupils have been really dilated for the past

Customer Question

My 3 year olds pupils have been really dilated for the past 2 nights. She is recovering from a bad cold but I have not given her any cold medicine in a few days. What could be causing her pupils to dilate so big. She seems fine other than a little stuffiness from her cold. The dilation usually last until she goes to bed and her eyes are fine in the morning.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr.R.K replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Are both pupils dilated? If so equally dilated?

What made you look at the pupils?

Di you see the pupils in bright light or in the dark?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Both eyes are dilated equally. Her eyes are light brown in color so you can really see the pupils good. The lighting was regular bedroom lighting and my other children, 15yrs and 11yrs both noticed it also. My mother-in-law baby sits some times for me and she has gas heat. I did not know if this may be some carbon monoxide symptoms or is it just because she is getting over the head cold. Other than the big pupils, she is a little more hyper than usual but that could be because of the excess valentines candy that has been floating around the house lately. I have complete thrown what was left away but could this(the extra chocolate) also have something to do with her eyes? Thank you so much for your time and expertise. I look forward to hearing from you.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Dr.R.K replied 7 years ago.

If both the pupils are of equal size and are reacting well to light, there is no need to worry.

You have to worry only if the pupils are not equal in size and they are fiexd and not reacting to light.

Just shine light on her eyes and see whether the pupils are 'contracting'.

If they contract on both sides, then you can consider it normal.